Friday, January 27, 2012

IT'S A MATTER OF THE HEART

It's a matter of the heart...yet so much more than that. I want to ask you so many questions to see if any of your experiences match up to what is happening in my life right now, however I do not know what questions to ask that would even give a hint about the happenings.

It feels like this...
I have had a full life already...a life of experiences, living in all kinds of places, hanging out with all
kinds of people, doing a ton of traveling and always in search of rich, rewarding experiences which, along the way has lead me to surfing. I am very athletic and though I do not know if I can really call myself a "surfer", I can say that I have surfed and more than just a few times. When I was growing up, my family and I would travel to Oscoda, MI and rent cabins on the beach for a week every summer. We would play for hours in Lake Huron, well hours as long as the waves were not too high. When I first learned to surf, I had to get over that concept of "if waves get higher than this, it is too dangerous to be in them". I had to re-learn how to be in the water, maneuver the waves and find peace in the chaos as they crash over me. In order to surf on a surfboard, it was important to have much larger waves than that. So I learned to work "with" the water...

Then, with some help of a dear friend, I was able to learn to get out past the break carrying a very large surfboard with me. It is challenging when this board is at least 3 feet taller than I and I am trying to "woman-handle" this thing out past the crashing point. I lost many, many battles and it was tiring to go against the tide. I was able to get up and catch a few decent waves. With help from another, I was able to learn to read the water and to even allow for the rip tide to assist me in conquering the break. Encouraging words and actions and I gained enough confidence to catch my first HUGE wave. I was such an exhilarating experience to paddle into it, catch it, stand and slide down the face of this monstrous wave. It actually was so exhilarating and my body was in such disbelief I was riding such a big wave that I bailed after just a few seconds. Memorable...for sure.

I haven't really had much of a chance to actually surf lately, however when I look back on my surfing experience up to this point, it directly correlates with what was going on with my romantic relationship at the time. During our first Cafe of LIFE Book Club meeting of 2012, I drew a card from a stack that was to answer whatever question I had intentions of getting an answer for. I chose to ask about a romantic relationship for 2012. The answer I received was "You have done your work. It is time to sit back and enjoy the ride." In relating to my surfing analogy, the card said..."You have done the paddling, now just wait for the wave and this time STAY ON THE BOARD AND ENJOY THE RIDE!!!". Within just a few days from really taking in that notion, I caught a wave...and I have to admit, this has been the wildest, most wonderful and amazing ride of my life! It feels really good to be "going with the flow" of life and seems absolutely effortless.

So tell me...have you witnessed the ebb and flow in different areas of life? Have ever given up fighting the ebb and found yourself in the flow? Have tides unexpectedly changed on you? Have you been swimming with the current or against? I have found that the more I share the intention I have and the direction I want to go, the more life smiles on that. I have turned a corner in my life and have decided, in the poetic words of Eddie Vedder, "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me!!" We only get one chance in this lifetime...what is in your heart?

2 comments:

Nick Logan said...

Great lesson... I was on the path to learn this for several months. It wasn't until you mentioned the wave analogy did it completely bubble up into my consciousness. "I'll ride the wave...WHERE IT TAKES MEEEEEEE!

Danielle said...

I sat on a secluded beach two years ago and told myself I couldn't do it.
I even went as far as calling him and telling him it was too much too late.
He wouldn't take no for an answer, and for that I am so incredibly grateful.
In him, I found myself.